FOR THE PARENTS
Thank you so much for enrolling your child in the EQ it UP!™ After School Workshop – one of the first of its kind!
BELOW ARE SOME POINTS TO HELP YOU:
1) Get connected to what we will be doing at the workshop and
2) Ways that you can help your child to practice and reinforce what they will be practicing.
Have you ever had moments where you think everything that goes wrong with your child is your fault? Spoiler alert: it is! Just kidding. The truth is – all children will struggle at times due to a mixture of their nature and nurture. Especially when their nature and nurture is having to interact with other kid’s nature and nurture – it can be overwhelming and chaotic! The most important thing for you to know is: no matter what challenges they have – you are part of the SOLUTION! And the following information will support you with ways to do that. Let's help your child THRIVE!
Part ONE: Overview of the Brain, Emotional Intelligence (EQ), and the Wave of Yuck™
THE INTEGRATED BRAIN
Book Recommendation: The Whole-Brain Child by Daniel J. Siegel, MD and Tina Payne Bryson, PhD
According to Siegel and Bryson – there are four parts to the whole-brain: Left, Right, Upstairs, and Downstairs.
The goal is to get these four parts integrated.
Left and Right Hemispheres
As you can see in the diagram, the Left Brain’s role is to focus on logic, literal, linguistics, and putting things in order (linear).
The Right Brain is connected to emotions, gut instinct, the meaning and feelings of the situation, the felt sense.
The goal is to strengthen and support each side, and help them to stay in balance.
UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS BRAIN
As you can see in the diagram – the Upstairs Brain is more sophisticated and evolved.
You will see more thinking, analyzing, and Responding. While the Downstairs Brain is more primitive – where you will see more Reacting.
The goal is to strengthen and nurture the ability for your child to stay in the Upstairs Brain, as well as practice tools to stop the Downstairs Brain from hijacking the Upstairs Brain!
Overview of Emotional Intelligence (EQ):
All of our workshop goals – and all that is needed to integrate the whole brain – is linked to developing your child’s EQ.
Some fun EQ facts:
- EQ is not something we are born with – it can always be developed, no matter what age. However, supporting this at an early age sets your child up for success in a more holistic way (physically, mentally, emotionally, and socially).
- 54% of success is determined though emotional intelligence.
- Success in their career can largely depend on their EQ. It is the new yardstick for a strong employee, specifically in leadership positions.
- EQ supports with Resiliency and Stress-Care (say “no” to Toxic Stress)!
- Men and Women seem to be balanced in different ways when it comes to EQ. Women tend to be more empathetic, self-aware, connected to emotions, and stronger in their interpersonal skills. Men tend to be more motivated, self-confident, and have a stronger sense of capability. *This is why I decided to create a separate class for boys and girls – they need different EQ development!
|The Five Components of Emotional Intelligence:|
|Self-Awareness: The ability to be aware of their emotions, capabilities, needs, and wants. To have a strong sense of self.||Self-Regulation: The ability to be flexible, resilient, and active when it comes to a challenging moment. To self-soothe; respond versus react.|
|Motivation: The ability to take initiative and be a go-getter. Note: We are living in a time where children are more protected, parents are more involved, more aware. Sometimes they over do it. With this in mind, children may end up doing less on their own – less independent and motivated. Teaching street smarts and independence is crucial.|
|Empathy: The ability to show compassion and true understanding for other’s thoughts, feelings, and experiences.||Social Skills: Interpersonal skills; the ability to engage with others, adapt to different social situations, communicate clearly, and resolve conflicts.|
Emotions are like waves
We never stop experiencing the Waves of Yuck1 in life. They come up, seemingly out of nowhere, and can thrash us if we do not have any self-care.
For children these waves can come up in moments that might seem miniscule to us – but they are very serious to them. The goal is to NOT GET STUCK in the YUCK – or SUCK in the YUCK - and HELP THE WAVE GO AWAY SO YOU CAN HAVE A BETTER DAY. We want our children to learn how to ride these waves in a healthy way, versus expecting them not to happen, or fighting them. We want to help each wave pass, so we can be in the YUM and avoid stress build-up (aka toxic stress)!
We at The Growth Vigilante are proud to be affiliated with The Great Uplifters Team Gives™ and The Girl Uplifters Team™. We will donate 10% of all income generated from EQ it UP!™ to them! Founded by Aimee Le Zakrewski Clark, and her daughters Maya & Olivia - the goal is to support children with uplifting themselves and others. Read on.
Free 20-minute consultation to determine the specific needs of your school or organization!